NABET-CWA/ABC-DISNEY NEGOTIATIONS 2021 - BULLETIN #3
NEW YORK CITY
BULLETIN #3 - JUNE 25, 2021
The Union’s Network Negotiating Committee (NNC) met this week in New York City to continue preparations for the upcoming contract negotiations. Following many months of on-line/virtual meetings, necessitated by the coronavirus pandemic, the NNC was finally able to gather safely in person. Hundreds of suggested contract modifications submitted by our members and Local leadership are being assessed and shaped into a complete package of proposals to be presented to the Company’s bargaining team when the parties commence negotiations in September. The NNC has developed a number of subcommittees to focus on specialized areas of interest such as: Daily Hire issues, Electronic Newsgathering, the ABC-NABET Sports Event Agreement, represented Newswriters, Producers and Desk Assistants, as well as economics and general terms and conditions of employment.
On Tuesday, June 22nd, NABET-CWA leadership met with representatives from ABC Sports and ABC Labor Relations for annual off-the-record meetings to discuss the operation and administration of the Sports Agreement. The parties have not been able to conduct such a meeting since November 2019 due to the pandemic. The NABET-CWA leadership was joined by a select committee of daily hire representatives from the sports production world. Derek Armstrong (Local 31), Steve Griswold (Local 41), and Mike Denton (Local 51) attended the New York meeting to share information and provide first-hand knowledge of important issues in the field. We are grateful to these devoted daily hire member representatives for their dedication and commitment. NABET-CWA Remote Service Coordinator Steve Rubbinaccio also provided valuable insight and support to the Union’s team.
The NABET-CWA bargaining committee will meet again in late August to finalize the Union’s package of proposals.
As a reminder, the current Master Agreement which was originally slated to expire on March 31, 2021, has been extended by mutual agreement of the parties to March 31, 2022. Additionally, a two percent (2%) base pay raise will go into effect on the first day of the first full pay period after October 1, 2021.
The Union’s negotiating team members are:
- Local 16: President Arthur Mazzacca, Bill Bores (Vice President), and Jim Nolan (Assistant to the President)
- Local 31: Alex Staherski (Lead Negotiator), Local 31 President Bob Williams, and Carl Mayers (Treasurer)
- Local 41: President Chris Willadsen, Patrick Keating (Treasurer), and Mike Johnson ("K" Unit Sports Producer)
- Local 51: President Carrie Biggs-Adams, Greg Dolphin (“A” Unit Steward), Brad Belstock (Executive Board Member), and Mike Denton (Daily Hire - Sports)
- NABET-CWA Sector: President Charlie Braico, NABET-CWA General Counsel Judiann Chartier, Esq., and Assistant to the Sector President Jodi Fabrizio-Clontz
Please continue to monitor Sector and Local Union websites and check email notices for any updates relating to negotiations and mobilization activities.
The ABC NABET-CWA Network Negotiating Committee