Meteorologist - WNYT
Requisition #: 23-1110 - Meteorologist
About Us: Nestled between two beautiful mountain ranges lies the capital of New York State and the heart of the Capital Region. We are very proud of our diverse culture, our gorgeous landscape, and the world-class entertainment we enjoy every day. We are 3 short hours away from Boston or New York City -- in fact, you can take in a Broadway show or a professional sports game and get back home in time to visit one of our many craft breweries! When you join the community of the Capital Region and #TEAM13, you join a family of talented, diverse, smart, and welcoming professionals. At WNYT, we work as a team every single day. A team where collaboration is at the forefront and every opinion is valued. At NewsChannel 13, our mission is to serve the greater good of our communities and clients with local, authentic, solution-based content. We are the coverage you can trust.
Job Overview: The position of Meteorologist is responsible for the content of the station’s weathercasts on-air and on our digital platforms.
- Forecast, produce, and present clear and concise weather casts which tell a story and connect with viewers.
Effectively utilize social media, during severe weather and everyday situations, as well as write weather stories.
- Work with producers and fellow meteorologists to determine relevant weather content in breaking news and everyday situations, doing live shots and reporting from community events.
- Enterprise stories in line with our brand on a daily basis.
- This position will use cameras, research sources, and editing equipment.
- Maintain professional standards regarding wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and grooming as required by the position.
- Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. An AMS seal or the CBM from the American Meteorological Society is preferred.
- Experience with computer graphics and radar.
- Excellent weather and news judgment.
Ability to think critically, quick and effective decision making, and live ad-libbing.
- Ability to work well under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines.
- Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Experience, shooting, and editing in a non-linear format.
Must have a valid driver's license and safe driving history as determined by the Company.
- A driving record will be checked and a background. A demo reel or online portfolio required.
EEO Statement: We are an equal-opportunity employer.
Union Plus offers services and discounts, including savings on wireless service, travel and more.