Jobs & Internships
Reporter/Multimedia Journalist (WHEC-TV)
08 Mar, 2022
Requisition #: 22-1125
Job Overview: This position is responsible for covering news for the station.
- Present live on television scripted and unscripted news reports; may present live stories from the scene of the news, the newsroom, and/or studio, or may record stories for later broadcast.
- Enterprise and develop stories for broadcast daily. Research and gather content for the story. Write clear, accurate, and interesting stories.
- Break down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand. Ensure that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impactful.
- Maintain standards of accuracy and fairness in news coverage.
- Write for and maintain a strong presence on the website and other social media platforms.
- Travel to the scene of a news story to gather and compile the information for broadcast. Complete assignments according to established deadlines.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local and national current events.
- Make promotional and community appearances as required.
- Maintain professional standards with regard to wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and other areas of grooming as required by the position.
- Work closely and respectfully with assigned photographers.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Contribute to the overall team effort to provide the market with the best possible local television journalism.
- Work in a team environment cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of people. Build working relationships with co-workers, community members, and the general public.
- Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Attend editorial and strategic meetings.
- Contribute story ideas on a daily basis.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- A college degree in journalism, television, or communications or equivalent experience; solid journalism background with two years experience in a reporting role.
- Skills as a photographer and editor are required.
- Edit using non-linear video editing software including (i.e. Adobe PremierPro) to sequence shots to tell a story visually. Aspire to editing excellence to raise the level of storytelling.
- Record great quality well-lit video and clear audio using hand-held, and shoulder mount professional video cameras (i.e. Panasonic HPX-250 and the Panasonic HVX-370). Record well-composed shots using a variety of focal lengths and angles to visually tell the story.
- Must have a valid driver's license and safe driving history as determined by the Company. The driving record will be checked.
- Must be knowledgeable of issues, newsmakers, and current events and be able to present stories in a way that is accurate, clear, complete, and relevant to viewers.
- Ability to handle a variety of news reporting assignments, including but not limited to, live appearances on the news set and at remote locations.
- Solid writing skills required.
- Knowledge of production values preferred.
- Ability to get along and communicate with a variety of people in often extreme circumstances.
- Must be able to think quickly and respond to breaking news in high-pressure situations and have strong organization and live reporting skills.
- Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written directions. Ability to think critically and quickly and to articulate information in a clear, concise manner to others.
- Ability to read TelePrompter, view video, and listen to live and recorded audio. Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, holidays; and extended hours.
- Please submit a demo reel in DVD format or a demo reel link of your on-air experience along with your resume and cover letter.
- Routinely moves camera equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. in all terrains for news stories. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job.
- The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer.
Meteorologist/Reporter - KCNC-TV
News Anchor/MMJ - KCNC-TV
MSJ - KCNC-TV