Reporter/Multimedia Journalist (WHEC-TV)
Requisition #: 20-1225 - Reporter/Multimedia Journalist
About Us: WHEC-TV, News10NBC, is committed to excellence in broadcasting in a professional and innovative work environment. As a Hubbard Rochester, NY employee, you are surrounded by opportunities for growth while working with some of the very best talent in the industry. Our mission is to inform, educate and entertain as we engage and strengthen our community and create value for all stakeholders. A welcoming hometown and a high performance workplace awaits at News10NBC.
Job Overview: This position is responsible for covering news for the station.
- Present live on television scripted and unscripted news reports; may present live stories from the scene of the news, the newsroom and/or studio or may record stories for later broadcast.
- Enterprise and develop stories for broadcast daily. Research and gather content for story. Write clear, accurate and interesting stories. Break down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand. Ensure that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impactful. Maintain standards of accuracy and fairness in news coverage.
- Write for and maintain strong presence on website and other social media platforms. Travel to the scene of a news story to gather and compile the information for broadcast. Complete assignments according to established deadlines.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local and national current events. Make promotional and community appearances as required.
- Maintain appropriate and strict standards with regard to wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and other areas of grooming. Write and post stories to website and other digital media platforms. Frequently update online stories.
- Work closely and respectfully with assigned photographers.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Contribute to the overall team effort to provide the market with the best possible local television journalism. Work in a team environment cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of people. Build working relationships with co-workers, community members, and the general public.
- Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Attend editorial and strategic meetings. Contribute story ideas on a daily basis.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- A college degree in journalism, television or communications or equivalent experience; solid journalism background with two years' experience in a reporting role.
- Skills as a photographer and editor are required.
- Edit using non-linear video editing software including (i.e. Adobe PremierPro) to sequence shots to tell a story visually. Aspire to editing excellence to raise the level of storytelling.
- Record great quality well-lit video and clear audio using hand-held, and shoulder mount professional video cameras (i.e. Panasonic
- HPX-250 and the Panasonic HVX-370). Record well composed shots using a variety of focal lengths and angles to visually tell the story. Must have a valid driver's license and a safe driving history as determined by the Company. Driving record will be checked.
- Must be knowledgeable of issues, newsmakers, and current events and be able to present stories in a way that is accurate, clear, complete, and relevant to viewers.
- Ability to handle a variety of news reporting assignments, including but not limited to, live appearances on the news set and at remote locations.
- Solid writing skills required.
- Knowledge of production values preferred.
- Ability to get along and communicate with a variety of people in often extreme circumstances.
- Must be able to think quickly and respond to breaking news in high pressure situations and have strong organization and live reporting skills. Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction.
- Ability to think critically and quickly and to articulate information in clear, concise manner to others. Ability to read TelePrompter, to view video, and to listen to live and recorded audio.
- Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, holidays; and extended hours.
- Please submit a demo reel in DVD format or a demo reel link of your on-air experience along with your resume and cover letter. Physical Requirements: Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer.