Requisition #: 22-1188
Job Overview: WNYT-TV is looking for a passionate, responsible, and aggressive Investigative Producer to help lead its investigative team. Our team is poised to dominate a competitive and highly visible market with its commitment to investigative content. If you are a coach who is interested in making a difference in the community, this is a perfect opportunity for you. The Investigative Producer is responsible for developing and coordinating distinctive stories that center on accountability, force transparency, and bring results using a wide array of sources. We want a leader who will coach, mentor, and be a driving force for a team of reporters. Our “13 Investigates” team generates stories and extensive news specials that resonate with our consumers on all platforms.
- Oversees and develops a variety of news reporting assignments, emphasizing stories that hold people in power accountable and, provide a voice for the voiceless.
- Meets frequently with investigative reporters and news managers in planning investigative news content.
- Researches and schedules news stories gather information, writes stories, and helps coordinate investigative coverage.
- Develops enterprise stories in line with our “13 Investigates” brand on a daily basis.
- Creates and develops excellent audience-directed content for web and social media.
- Responds and works well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handles last-minute and unexpected changes. Communicates quickly and clearly to necessary staff and talent.
- Writes and edits clear, accurate, and interesting stories. Ensures that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impactful.
- Breaks down complicated stories so that they are easy to understand.
- Attends editorial and strategic meetings. Comes prepared to meetings and interacts professionally with others.
- Is knowledgeable of local, national, and world events. Knows what is going on in the community.
- Consults with the news director, executive producer, and/or assistant news director on difficult editorial issues.
- Works established schedule. Fills in for others and other positions if needed.
- 5 years of producing, assignment editor, and/or reporting experience including hard-hitting, relevant investigative work.
- Reputation as an ethical, fair, and trusted journalist whose commitment to the highest standards of journalism is unquestioned.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and stories at once, while working closely with management and other members of the station to put Investigative stories on the air.
- Ability to follow a paper trail, use the Internet to dig deep, and file paperwork and records requests in a timely manner to get what's needed to serve the story.
- Understanding of and ability to interpret key government, court, and business documents provided by well-placed, high-level sources whom you've cultivated.
- Some experience producing a local television newscast is preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well.
- Excellent organization and writing skills including grammar and spelling.
- Understands when to take charge of situations when warranted.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism or communications or equivalent experience.
Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer.