Chief Photographer (WNYT-TV)
Requisition #: 21-1593
Job Overview: To shoot video and edit news stories for newscasts on a daily basis. Assist with general daily guidance of the Photographer and Editing staff including quality control and performance feedback.
- Shoot steady, sequenced video with good, clean audio for news, weather, and sports for daily newscasts, specials, and station websites as well as social media under tight deadlines. Edit in-camera for sequences. Uses movement off the shoulder to show viewers what is seen in the field and a tripod or steady bag for steady shots. Shoots wide, medium, and tight shots with a variety of subjects for the purpose of telling the story through pictures.
- While shooting, get clean audio and sound. Gather great natural sound while in the field. Ensure good lighting, making sure the shot is bright and not dark.
- Edits video and audio satisfactorily for news stories such as vos, vo/sots, setups, and reporter pacs using different techniques and different editing machines (including non-linear editing with Adobe Premiere Pro) under tight deadlines and in stressful situations while completing on time. Editing is done in-house and in live trucks. Learns and performs competently multi-layering and special effects such as witness protection, highlighting video clips, color correction, Photoshop, and picture in picture effects. Aspires to edit excellence to raise the level of storytelling.
- At times, may conduct interviews for broadcast with formulating questions. May also use questions supplied by producers, reporters, or news management.
- Works in tandem with a Reporter to "tell" a story. Be able to operate LiveU Backpacks.
- Know the streets and highways well enough to drive quickly to a news story. Be able to operate and follow GPS.
- Listen to the scanner while driving in the news car and call in spot news, and see if you are in a position to respond quickly to the scene first. Learns and operates effectively and satisfactorily new technology and equipment including but not limited to FCP, Panasonic P2 300 camera, servers, editing equipment.
- Communicates frequently throughout the day and works collaboratively with others in the newsroom including reporters, anchors, producers, assignment desk staff, creative services, and other photographers about the assigned story and other assignments. Checks in face to face with Assignment Desk when returns to station from an assignment. Proactively pitches in to assist others.
- Responds and works well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handles last-minute and unexpected changes. Communicates quickly and clearly to necessary staff and talent.
- Attends editorial and other meetings. Comes prepared to meetings and interacts professionally with others. Contributes story ideas on a daily basis.
- Is knowledgeable of local, national, and world events. Has a handle on what is going on in the community. Travels regularly often locally however, may travel nationally and internationally.
- Works assigned shifts. Shifts may change often. Fills in for absent co-workers if needed. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules including when called to cover breaking news, as assigned by the Chief Photographer or News Director.
- Drives company vehicle to and from stories under various driving conditions. Obeys all traffic laws and safety rules of the road while in a company vehicle.
- Reports any problems or concerns with the vehicle and traffic incidents promptly to the appropriate company representative.
- If assigned to take a new vehicle home, must follow guidelines which included securing equipment and vehicle.
- Keeps car clean and in good condition. Ensures equipment is in good working condition.
- Builds working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, and the general public.
- Acts in a professional, courteous manner when representing the station and the news department. Looks presentable and neat on the job.
- Minimum 2 years TV news photography and editing experience required
- Must be proficient with current broadcast cameras and editing equipment. Has knowledge and expertise in non-linear editing. Ability to work alone and with a Reporter.
- Must be reliable and able to work additional hours if needed as well as travel as required.
- Must possess valid driver's license and clean driving record as determined by the Company. Good news judgment and a thorough understanding of daily news content.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines. NPPA workshop experience is a plus.
- Ability to learn and run LiveU Backpacks.
- Must be able to work in areas and conditions that are often noisy, have many distractions, and in extreme weather (heat and cold) and landscape conditions.
- Must be able to listen to and respond verbally to others in English. Must have the manual dexterity to operate camera and editing equipment.
- Must be able to move quickly inside and outside on uneven, unfamiliar terrain and areas. Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Must be able to lift, carry and move with up to 50lbs in many environments including outdoors and in extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to drive news vehicles. Able to stand for long periods of time.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer.